Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words...

...probably not the words Lewis Carroll would want to hear!

Hear, hear!

HERE are some of the pictures Carroll took of Alice, her sisters, and other (little) girls:
[Note: Some of these are in the Broadview copies of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland]

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(This one's the most disturbing, in my opinion)
Photobucket

(And this one is obviously NOT one of Carroll's. I just thought was really good photography and also very cool!)
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. NOTE: I've been looking up things about the picture of Carroll and Alice "kissing" because it looked pretty funny to me. There's debate whether or not it's photoshopped. Personally, I think it is (some of the shadows are off,) but I haven't found anything concrete saying it is or not. I suppose this picture is very much like Carroll's relationships with little girls. Were they really as bad as they appeared to be (from a modernist standpoint,) or were they innocent acts tainted by other's opinions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another note:
    That picture is definitely photoshopped. One picture is of Lewis Carroll reading a book, and the other is of Alice eating cherries with her sisters. You can see the cherry picture in the Broadview book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! These pictures are really disturbing. I've been meaning to look into Carroll's relationship with Alice more because I know it's thought to be pretty scandalous, and these pictures are definitely scandalous.

    ReplyDelete